Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Expansion and Contraction Theory of Commuting

Yesterday was the first time in about 4 months that I did my full bike commute to and from work. The full commute is about 52 miles round trip. Even when I'm in full commuting shape this seems long. When you're in I've had too many ding dongs this winter shape, it feels like an eternity. With the bits of time I had in between thinking of how much every portion of my body hurt and contemplating how much longer I could keep my waffles from making a jettison back up, I derived a theory. I call this theory the Expansion and Contraction Theory of Bike Commuting. It goes something like this. The greater the amount of time that one is away from the bike commute, the more the uphills expand and the downhills contract. The amount of expansion and contraction is directly proportional to the time away from the saddle. Just something to ponder the next time you're pedaling up that monster hill and thinking of how much of a good idea electric hybrid bikes truly are.

No comments: